Friday 18 May 2012

Anki

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/AnkiStudying.png



A piece of software I have been using loads over the past couple of years for studying is Anki. It is absolutely incredible.

Anki is a type of electronic flashcard system that uses spaced repetition to help you learn what's on the sides of the flashcard. After each class I type up my notes into Anki in the form of question and answer (front and back of flashcard). Then, when I get to exams, I don't have to bother leafing through all my notes, all I do is fire up Anki and learn the 150 cards or so that are there. Either on the computer every morning or whilst I'm travelling.

Unlike with regular flashcards, you can actually be much stricter more easily and only pass the card when you only truly know the answer. I use it for Spanish vocab too as well as technical stuff from my course. I would seriously recommend it; my exam scores have gone up over the time I've been using Anki.

Also, when you get round to past papers,  you can put all the questions and answers into Anki so that you know them too! Awesome.

You can also embed Latex formulae and images into Anki which is handy. If you have exams coming up, I implore you to try it out.

There are awesome some decks online that are for Anki that help you learn the capitals of the world (for example) as well as vocab, Kanji etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Can we just autofill city and state? Please!

Coming from a country that is not the US where zip/postal codes are hyper specific, it always drives me nuts when you are filling in a form ...